Research Assistant II
Integrative Research Center
Stephanie Ware is currently a research assistant in the Division of Insects in the Field Museum's Zoology Department and the administrative assistant for the Field Museum's NSF REU Summer Internship Program. She also works with Mary Hennen in the Divison of Birds monitoring the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) populations in Illinois.
Stephanie started volunteering at the Field Museum in 1998, working with Curator John Bates in the Bird Division. In 1999, John Bates hired her as a research assistant. After that project finished in 2007, she went to work for Carl Dick in the Division of Insects helping him to complete his work on the museum's Bat Fly collection. She spent a great deal of time generating images for the Bat Fly portion of the Diptera Taxonomy Database. When Carl left for University of Kentucky in 2009, she continued her imaging work in the Insect Division. In the interveneing years, she has imaged hundreds specimens, mostly types, from the rove beetle (Staphylinidae), ant and myriapoda collections.
Stephanie began working with the Chicago Peregrine Program in 2006. Initially, she monitored the Metropolitan Correctional Center nest in downtown Chicago. Over time, her duties have expanded to include other nests in the metro region, emphasizing the identification of nesting adults. In March of 2007, Stephanie created a group called Midwest Peregrine Falcons on the photo sharing website Flickr with the goal of providing a place for photographers across the country to submit their photographs of peregrine sightings in the Midwestern United States. She also has many of her own peregrine photos on Flickr as well.
Recent Blog Posts
- Comparative Gill and Labial Palp Morphology (Mollusca: Bivalvia)
- ATM meets MET – Assembling a Taxonomic Monograph using Modern Electronic Tools
- Hairy legs in the Nursery
- One leg at a time: The morphology of millipedes
- Morphological evolution of carnivoran milk teeth
- What’s in a name? That’s what we call a species – addressing species delimitation in lichenized fungi
- What can we learn from 30+ years of bird migration data?
- Morphological Integration in the Mandibles of Living Reptiles and Fossil Synapsids
- Speciation and Diversification of Mammals on Islands
- The early evolution of sea turtles