2014 Yearly Symposium:
The date of our 2014 symposium is: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 (noon - 1pm) and our invited speaker is Dr. Jessica Hellmann (University of Notre Dame).
2014 Monthly Meetings:
FMWIS monthly meetings are the first Monday of every month from 12pm - 1pm in Lecture Hall II (on the ground floor near the West Entrance). If you are coming from outside of the museum, please enter the museum through the West Entrance and ask the security guard at the door to direct you to Lecture Hall II to gain access to the seminar room. Everyone is welcome!
Here is the meeting schedule for 2014 (Mondays: noon - 1pm):
- January (rescheduled for February 17, 2014 due to weather)
- Guest speaker: Dr. Victoria Prince (Professor, Dept of Organismal Biology & Anatomy and Associate Dean and Director, Office of Graduate Affairs, Biological Sciences Division, University of Chicago): "Training the science workforce in a changing landscape"
- February 3, 2014
- Guest speaker: Danielle Riebe (Graduate student at UIC/Field Museum and Field Museum Women's Board Women in Science Fellow 2013): "Women in the Field, Women in the Lab, Women in Science"
- March 3, 2014
- Guest speaker: Linda C. Brazdil (Director, Center for Science and Math Education, Loyola University): "K-12 Science Education: Growing Inquisitive Minds"
- April 7, 2014
- May 5, 2014
- Guest speaker: Emily Graslie (The Brain Scoop: http://www.youtube.com/user/thebrainscoop; Field Museum of Natural History) (note: Special tickets are required for this event) "The Importance of Science Role Models in the Media"(note: Lecture location James Simpson Theatre)
- June 2, 2014
- Guest speaker: Dr. May Berenbaum (Professor and Head, Dept of Entomology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign): "Metamorphosis from entomophobe to entomophile"
- July 7, 2014
- Guest speaker: Edna Davion (Graduate student at UChicago/Field Museum) (note: Lecture location Zoology Classroom
- 3rd floor; for access to this seminar room you must email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- August 4, 2014
- Meet the Field Museum Women In Science interns and see the videos they have created during their summer internships
- September 1, 2014
- Labor Day (no meeting)
- October 6, 2014
- Guest speaker: Ellen Alberding (President and Board Member of the Joyce Foundation: http://www.joycefdn.org/)
- November 3, 2014
- Guest speaker: Laura Briscoe (Research & Collections Assistant, Field Museum of Natural History)
- December 1, 2014
- Guest speaker: Dr. Mary Greuel (Assistant Curator of Ancient Art, The Art Institute of Chicago)
2013 Yearly Symposium:
Once a year we will hold a FMWIS sponsored symposium. This symposium will feature an invited speaker selected by FMWIS members and will be open to the public.
The date of our 2013 symposium is: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 (noon - 1pm) and our inaugural invited speaker was Dr. Hopi Hoekstra (Harvard University).
2013 Monthly Meetings:
FMWIS monthly meetings are the first Monday of every month from noon - 1pm in the Zoology Classroom (third floor). If you are coming from outside of the museum, please email email@example.com to gain access to the seminar room. Everyone is welcome!
Here is the meeting schedule for 2013 (Mondays: noon - 1pm):
- March 4, 2013
- FMWIS welcome meeting
- April 1, 2013
- FMWIS Steering Committee introduces mission, yearly theme, and other topics
- May 6, 2013
- Guest speaker: Jan Lariviere (Field Museum) "Why is the pipeline so leaky?" - Handout provided by Jan.
- June 3, 2013
- Guest speaker: Linda Wolf (formerly of Leo Burnett Worldwide and current Field Museum Trustee) "Pursuing Your Passion"
- July 1, 2013
- Guest speaker: Dr. Michelle Larson (President and CEO of Adler Planetarium)
- August 5, 2013
- Meet the FMWIS interns and see the videos they created.
- September 2, 2013
- Labor Day (no meeting)
- October 7, 2013
- Guest speaker: Darlene Cavalier (Founder of Science Cheerleader)
- November 4, 2013
- Guest speaker: Dr. Alaka Wali (Field Museum of Natural History) "The Fourth Shift? Women's Role in Environmental Conservation"
- December 2, 2013
- Guest speaker: Dr. Elizabeth C. Davis-Berg (Columbia College Chicago) "Biomechanics, Snails, and Teaching Biology at Arts and Communications School"