Volunteer Requirements & Perks
Weekday volunteers are expected to contribute at least one day per week (minimum 3 hours) while weekend volunteers give at least two weekend days per month. A commitment of one year is expected, but short-term or more flexible commitments are sometimes available depending on specific exhibit, program, festival or department needs.
Please note that your application will be sent to prospective supervisors in the specific department(s) in which you indicated interest. Each application will be reviewed and interviews may be scheduled based on department needs and open volunteer positions.
Competition for volunteer opportunities is strong. Reliability is essential, including excellent attendance, promptness and courteous behavior. Training and orientation must be completed.
While our volunteers are not compensated financially, the rewards they receive are culturally enriching:
- Free admission for you to The Field Museum and other Chicago museums
- The opportunity to meet with others who share your fascination with history, science and culture
- Discounts at Museum restaurants and stores
- Free Field Museum membership, including our quarterly magazine, In the Field
- Invitations to Museum member events, including Members Night
- Invitations to recognition events, exhibition previews and staff celebrations
- Access to our libraries
- Exposure to world-renowned scientists and experts
The Field Museum is committed to creating an environment in which people of diverse backgrounds are welcome and valued. It is the Museum's objective to recruit a team of volunteers that reflects the broad constituency the Museum strives to serve.
The Field Museum accepts applications on line. To apply please complete our on-line application process. No phone calls please.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at The Field Museum!
- History of the Museum
- Traveling Exhibitions
- Press Materials
- Social Media
- Multimedia Gallery
- Our Staff
- Career Opportunities
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Annual Reports
- Copyright Information