There is no end to the number of things you can do around Chicago. The Palmer House is located in the center of it all. Explore below for topics relating to your visit. At the bottom of the page are links to a few places to consider stopping by and sites for more general information.
Planning to work in or visit the FMNH Bird Division during or around the time of the meetings? We are looking forward to hosting everyone who wants to come work in the collections, but we anticipate a lot of requests. If you plan to use the collection, please help us accommodate everyone by contacting Collection Manager Ben Marks about when you would like to come, how much time you think you'll need, and what taxa you want to study.
Whether flying into O'Hare or Midway airports, you have a variety of transportation options when deciding how to get to the Palmer House. Public transportation is widely available, so we encourage people not to drive and/or rent a car if flying into the city. Taxis will cost approximately $25 from Midway (12mi, 30-45 min ride) and $35 from O'Hare (18mi, 45-60 min ride). Trains are available from each airport. From O'Hare, you would take the Blue Line (subway to Forest Park) and exit at Monroe. It's a short 2-minute walk to the hotel (17 East Monroe St.). From Midway, take the Orange Line (subway to Loop) and exit at Harold Washington Library. From there, it's a 5-minute walk to the hotel.
Go Airport Express offers airport shuttle services between O'Hare and Midway airports (departing every 15 minutes) and Chicago area locations including the Palmer House. Go Airport Express will offer a 10% discount to all AOU/COS Conference attendees. Or call to make a reservation at 1-800-284-3826 (ask for AOUM discount.)
Several choices are available if you choose to drive to Chicago. 1. Valet Parking (with in & out privileges) is available at the Palmer House Hilton for a rate of $62/day. 2. Self Park at the same garage is $42/day. 3. Parking garages are spread through out the city if you would like to shop around for alternate lots. 4. Preferred Choice - UIC. We have made arrangements for conference attendees to be able to park at the UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago) Halsted Street Parking Structure for a rate of $35 per week. This lot is adjacent to the Blue Line train (link above) stop called UIC Halsted. It is only 4 short stops to the Monroe stop where you would exit to get to the hotel. Arrangements must be made directly with UIC Parking.
- ChooseChicago: Chicago Tourism Bureau web site, with a calender of events for the region.
- The Art Institute of Chicago: One of the greatest art collections in the world, two blocks from the Palmer House.
- The Shedd Aquarium: World-class aquarium next door to The Field Museum.
- Adler Planetarium: Located on Northerly Island.
- Chicago Architecture Foundation: Great tours through the history of the building of downtown Chicago.
- Lincoln Park Zoo: North of downtown.
- Brookfield Zoo: West of town.
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum: North of downtown.
- Chicago Cubs: The Northsiders (maybe 2013 will break the curse?).
- Chicago White Sox: The Southsiders.
- Buddy Guy’s Legends: The best of the blues, right downtown.